About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 11:35:11 PDT 2000

I am going to give up on the Kingston NIC, and/or the
version of tulip driver that I have
in Red Hat 6.2 (2.2.14-5.0 Kernel).

My son is coming down from Rohnert Park tomorrow with a
couple of ne-2000 cards,
one or both of which will work, I hope.

The difference is that the Kensington is a PCI standard and
the ne-2000 are both ISA.
I think I have a couple of ISA slots on my back plane.  I
don't quite know the difference, but I am hoping that the
older style cards will be more of a 'known quantity' to the
Linux kernel that I am running.

I notice on the Red Hat Mirror sites that there have been 2
upgrades of the kernel since
the first issue of 6.2 but I have not the slightest idea how
to download a kernel RPM
file and get it running in the Linux box without mucking
everything up.

John