About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:49:32 PDT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> I was able to complete the following command
> #/sbin/ifconfig
> with the following result
>
> lo        Link encap:local loopback
>     `    inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
>     UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924 Metric:1
>         RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>         TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

Yes, this is what is called the "loopback" interface. It is used for many
things. Primarily, it is used to allow your machine to talk to itself over
a kind-of pseudo-network. Packets traverse the same chains and rules that
incoming and outgoing packets might pass, but packets to/from "loopback"
do not (or are not supposed to) go to the wire/physical media.

When you have the Kingston card working as it should, then you should not
only see "lo" as an interface but also "eth0" as another interface too.

Incidentally, you would also see the above if you just did:
# ifconfig lo
when typing ifconfig byitself such as:
# ifconfig

all (have not come across) linux distros are likely to show you all of the
interfaces the kernel/system knows about. If you have a PPP connection,
then you might see ppp0 as an interface, a SLIP connection might show sl0,
a second PPP interface might be ppp1.

> # /sbin/depmod-a
> got no respons, just another
> root prompt.

Good. depmod is often not verbose in responses. It usually works, and says
nothing. When you see messages from depmod, they are often a result of an
error or two. (No errors is a good thing.)

> Then I tried /sin/modprobe tulip debug=6
>
> and this was the response
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.o/net/tulip.o:invalid parameter parm_irq
> /lib/modules/2.2.14.5.0/net/tulip.o:insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/tulip.o
> failed.
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/tulip.o: insmod tulip failed
>
> By this, I wonder if the kernel can't talk to the kingston card or if the
> kingston card will not
> answer back.

We can look into other arguements to offer the module when inserting it.
 I'll try to respondmore later...

-ME