Thanks & 2nd Sound Card, 2nd Video Card questions

Colin Marquardt colin.marquardt at usa.alcatel.com
Fri Jun 23 16:29:39 PDT 2000

Hi,

* Laney Coulter <rebel at pon.net> writes:

> 6.0) Wednesday.  I didn't know about the installfest because I haven't been
> reading the NBLUG list, because I didn't have LINUX up yet.  A little off I

Even then, I almost missed it also, because I wasn't subscribed to
the announcement list, just to the talk list.

Is it really the consensus that the lists must be separated so strictly?
I would vote for the announcements also to be made on the talk list. It
doesn't really add that much traffic.

> Does anyone know how to install a second sound blaster card (one PCI, one
> ISA P&P)?  I just want to use the mixer on it.

That is more advanced stuff...

Typing "two soundblaster" into http://www.google.com/linux gives you
some links, including
  http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO-6.html
and
  http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/drivers/cards/sound/oss.html

You need to know that there a two different drivers you can have for
soundcards: one is OSS (the drivers of current kernels (sometimes
called Free-OSS), or commercial drivers), and the other is ALSA
(http://www.alsa-project.org/).

I'd just try it and come again with more specific problems.

> Does anyone know where I can find a driver for dual VGA monitors?  Something
> like the NT 4.0 configuration would be perfect.  I'm running out of space on
> my desk and would like to drive two 10" VGAs one above the other.

That is only possible with the new XFree86 4.x (3.3.x versions could
only do it with two identical Millenium cards, AFAIK). This is an
area that is not yet too well explored I guess, but it would be fun
to play with it.

What distribution do you use? Are there XFree 4.0 packages available?

HTH,
  Colin