Processor Swap

Christopher White chris at adei.com
Tue Mar 7 13:04:36 PST 2000

The Pentium 166 is Socket 7.  A Pentium II is Slot 1.  They're incompatible.

An AMD K6-2 requires a Super 7 motherboard (the memory bus will run at 100
MHz unless you get one with a VIA chipset that will allow you to use your
old memory [non-PC100] by jumping the bus down to 66 MHz).  The AMD Athlon
uses Slot A, which is different from Slot 1.

You're going to have to get a new motherboard (I reccommend an AMD K6-2 500
MHz with the Tyan S1598 motherboard; I've used this combination several
times; it's the best bang for not a lot of bucks).

RedHat will run on all those platforms, however.  I'm currently running
RedHat 6.1 on a Compaq Athlon 600 MHz, and its so fast it's scary!  The new
GHz Athlon would be running at warp speed on steroids!