[NBLUG TALK] A little more RH 7.0 problems?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 6 18:20:43 PDT 2000

begin  Dustin Mollo quotation:

> And here I thought RH was getting better with each release.  Sounds
> like they are pretty screwed up.  I'd use better words, but this is a
> family mailing list :)

_If_ you grant the assumption that they had to ship something at this
rather awkward time, then their reasons for the (custom-patched beta)
gcc and glibc versions they included are at least defensible:  Even
Debian-stable (2.2 "potato") currently uses a glibc version (2.1.3) that
technically doesn't exist, probably for security-patch reasons.  The
same sort of thing also happened when glibc was at 2.0.6.

I personally agree that Red Hat Software's making too aggressive a
choice, here.  I'm torn between applauding their pioneering spirit and
being grateful that I'm not along for the ride.

Aside from all that, this business of distributions inventing
non-existent software versions strikes me as very much A Bad Thing.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm