1s,2s & 0s-MBR, LILO or ?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Apr 25 12:49:44 PDT 2001

} Hi, I have yet to get a working, bootable Linux install trying various
} flavors.  The farthest I get is to see the install apparently completed,
} the GUI looks good, but on reboot, the screen fills with 1s & 0s
} (actually appearing as "01" scrolling endlessly up off the otherwise
} black video screen).  The tries are with Debian GNU slink & a half
} (which worked with a floppy boot fine, for a while, then mysteriously
} stopped Monday), Caldera Open Linux v 1.3 & v. 2.3.  V. 1.3 is not
} supported by Caldera (I'll ask again); v. 2.3 is from a friend so I
} can't ask Caldera for support since I didn't pay for the copy, and I
} really don't know where to begin with Debian. I also have Boot/Partition
} Magic 6.  The LILO on my last try went to the "/" on the Linux drive
} (standalone 2ndary slave).  What was interesting was that I loaded the
} Debian CD & designated the boot to go to "/usr", and then got on the
} screen scrolling "02"s.  So is this an MBR, LILO, other boot problem, or
} other problem entirely?  Primary master disk is w98se.  Partition Magic
} was used to configure root & swap partitions on Linux, but should I not
} expect Boot Magic to boot the Linux, as Ms. Obal suspects with her
} RedHat?

The problem is you have two discs.  Lilo is installing on one, and the
computer is trying to boot from the other.  You should be able to boot
from a boot floppy.  I had a similar problem and I had to remove one
drive, run lilo, then put the 2nd drive back.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com