Deja Vu all over again (done) Kewl deal.

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Apr 2 21:09:45 PDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> I simply started Netscape, and the default URL popped up right away on the
> screen.

Excellent! So you are up and running. :-)

> My ISP states that my upload/download data rates can be as high as
> 1500/128 kbps. from "www.dslreports.com" I learned 363/104 kbps was
> what I really was getting.

Ah, thereis an isu e with this. Most places in Sonoma County offer ADSL
and a few SDSL. Frequently, PacBell offers "up to" 1.544Mbps for standard
ADSL (~$39) and "up to" 6.0Mbps (~$200) for enhanced DSL. With both
services from DSL, the offer "up to" 384kbps. Many systems for testing
bandwidth don't do so well when the incoming pipe is of different size
than the outgoing. It seems they default to the lowest common
denominator. In this case, 384 might be it.

Also, *usually* "bps" with a lower case "b" refers to "bits" and and upper
case "B" refers to Bytes. Though this conversion is not perfect, it is
much like the "double it and add 30" for Celcius to Farenhheit conversion,
iit works ok for generalization and is easy. Just divide the "bits per
second" by 10 to compute "Bytes per second". I know there are 8 bits to a
bytes, but the reason for the overhead of 2 (8+2) is to account for
headers and other application control mechanisms and differennces in
ration for header size to payload for smmall packets vs large packets.

However, not everyone uses the above. I have been known to use the wrong
case a few times myself when I should know better too. ;-) It is still
worthy to mention it.

> I am considering re-installing RH 7 using the "upgrade" option of the
> install process. (but not for a while).

Others here are more experienced with RH and can offer you suggestions and
help with this choice. There may ore may not be issues with it. If you
decide to ask, I would change the topic so they don't think it is part of
this thread. (Not everyone is followig this.)

> Once again, ***Thank You*** for all your help on this issue.

No problem. Wish we could have been sure it was a hardware problem to
begin with. It is often more tricky to test when you dont have "spares" of
the same type/model or another machine and OS to test it.

Enjoy your fn with RH7 and Linux.

-ME