Deja Vu all over again

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 10:39:00 PDT 2001

ME wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > I did re-install the old NIC but tried to run it on the current installation
> > of redhat.
> >
> > I returned the "new" NIC to the current installation..
>
> > I put in the old NIC but was unable to determine the setting of its IRQ
> > or io/port, without being able to use the NIC installation and testing
> > software. The floppy that I had with the old card (and Accton card)
> > has been damaged.

I will attempt to contact Accton, and ask for a replacement setup floppy.
I don't know how I corrupted the one that came with the NIC board.

> Bummer of a loss there. During installation, some amount of auto-probing
> actually works. The old card may be detetcted, and the default settings
> may allow it to sense the io and IRQ resources. However, this assumes you
> want to skip more testing with the new card.

The new (Jameco) card is back in place, and re-seating it may have been
fortunate.  I have 4 terminal windows up on the GNOME desktop, all pinging the respective
router ports.
192.168.1.1 (router)
192.168.1.2 (Mac LC)
192.168.1.3( iMac)
192.168.1.4 (Linux box)
typical range of ping response for the router is 700-800 usec
typical range of ping response for the LC is 1.6 to 1.7 msec
typical range of ping response for the iMac is 700-800 usec
typical range of ping respons for the linus is 48-70 usec

I am just letting it run while I eat breakfast.

> If you have the NIC configuration disk for the "new" card, try running it
> to see if it allows you to change it from PnP to manual configuration and
> what other interface specific changes can be made to it in this tool.

I did, before my DOS startup disk failed, and it is manual now.

> > I have 2 terminal windows on the linux, one pinging my Mac LC and the other pinging the iMac.
> > both are running continuously
>
> They are running continuously - meaning they are getting positive

Yes.

> As yet another test, try seeing if you can get a macintosh
> "ping/taceroute" tool. I would be interested if the Mac thinks it can ping
> your Linux box. (Unlikely that it would not be able to ping the linux box
> while the linux box states it is pinging the mac, but worth checking -
> this is postly for a linux interface/driver test.)

I do, in fact have a mac utility on my LC desktop "Mac TCP watcher, "
which allows me to do several tasks including to ping the rest of the network,
as well as URLs in the outside world.  I have seen the "traceroute" feature,
but seldom used it.  I don't know the purpose of it.

> If you open a 3rd window, and started pinging the gateway do you see times
> where the gateway/router is unreachable while the other macs continue to
> respond from the linux box?

Not now.

Right now, all ports are reachable.(except the macs when they are turned off, or
if they are on without an active netscape screen illuminated)

> Also, do you have "dhcpdc" or "pump" running on your new linux box?:
> # ps -auxw | grep "dhcp"

response was :

root   1137     0.0    0.9    1484    500 pts/4     S    9:30    0:00 grep dhcp

> # ps -auxw | grep "pump"

response was:
root     1141     0.0     0.9     1484     580 pts/4     S     9:33 0:00 grep pump

> Anything back from these other than another "#" prompt?

Yes, see above.

> Do you know of any other networking software/processes/service that you
> might be running with security as part of their name or network
> configuration in linux?

No

> > I would like to know if my new NIC floppy will test the old NIC.
>
> Probably not - unless they are from the same manufacturer and/or same
> model.

It is a shame .  It would be nice if there were an NIC standard and all
boards met the standard, including setup and diagnostics.

John