Broken NFS server (or client?)

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:42:43 PDT 2001

I am trying to set up a netbooting Linux server for a high school that is
trying to set up a Windows 2000 Server to manage their entire network (just
in case the Windows server doesn't work correctly, as usual).  I seem to
have a working server machine and a working boot disk for the clients, but I
get an NFS error -101 when I boot a test client (a VMWare virtual machine).

Both the client and server are using Linux kernel 2.4.7, and the server is
set up with a kernel-based NFS v3 daemon.  The client is set up with
kernel-based network auto-configuration using DHCP, the kernel is configured
to have a root filesystem via NFS, and the IP address of the server is in
the LILO configuration.  Everything seems to work except for the NFS
connection.

Anyone know what's going on and/or how to fix it?