newbie intro

Liz Young liz at sonic.net
Tue Aug 14 11:31:23 PDT 2001

Greetings All,

Just joined the list.  After six and a half years borged by WinNT, I'm
trying again to transition to Linux.   Just wondering how tolerant
NBLUG is with newbies... I have lots of questions.

My first intro to Unix was... well, Intro to Unix 1 & 2 with Sean
Kirpatrick at the JC ('96).  I opened my Sonic account via telnet from
Nermal, I think it was either 6 or 9 bucks a month back then.  And
wasn't it Slackware?  Anyway, I haven't done much with Linux since
then, but recently picked up copies of SuSE (for my laptop) and
Mandrake (dual-booting on one Win2k PC, and testing server stuff on
another old clunker).

My home LAN is connected to the Internet via NT4 running WinroutePro
for NAT and firewall.  I have another NT4 (PDC) box running File and
Print Services.  I'd like to convert the NAT box to Linux, but have to
keep the other box running NT until I finish my MCSE upgrade later this
year (blech! I know, I have almost ZERO motivation to do that now).

That's enough blathering for now, see y'all tonight!

-Liz