newbie intro

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 00:38:48 PDT 2001

I have heard that Slackware is good, but I have also heard that it is
terrible for the newbie (I have not tried Slackware myself, though!).  If
you're already familiar with UNIX, you'll probably survive Slackware,
otherwise, try Red Hat 7.1.

Another suggestion: If you don't know what you're doing, buy a packaged
distro such as Red Hat Linux 7.1 Deluxe at Best Buy or some other retail
store.  The retail distributions usually include some kind of technical
support contract (on Red Hat: 30 days via telephone, 90 days via e-mail)
which was a lifesaver for me when I was getting started.