IMAP questions

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Thu Aug 23 14:45:11 PDT 2001

Well, here's what I can say from my experience:

Linux is definitely a prime choice for a mail server.

IMAP is not a good idea if you're receiving large attachments, it bogs
the server down to a pretty much unusable point after about 3 megs of
attachment until it's done parsing the message.  (A company I did
consulting for INSISTED on using email to receive print jobs, ugh)

I know there are many options for webmail out there, I have not had
experience with them enough to be able to help there.  You may have to
pay for a good webmail package.

As for server/client combos..  I've had a pretty good experience with
qpopper for POP3, I've also tried ipop3d and found it to be usable.  As
for your clients on WinNT 4, I'd recommend using an all-in-one program
like Netscrape for web and mail if your end-users aren't too bright.
That keeps it simple for them.  If they're relatively computer savvy,
you should have them use Eudora or Pegasus Mail.  They're typically more
efficient than Netscrape or S&M Express (Outlook).

We use a weird combination of stuff here, we're running a Unix server
for external mail (pop3) and an NT server with Exchange 5.0 for internal
mail with my users running Outlook '97.  It works, but Outlook is so
damn unstable. <grumble grumble>  I've never had *ANY* problems with the
pop3 server.

Hope this helps! :)

- Christopher Wagner
--
<chrisw at pacaids.com>
IS Administrator - Packaging Aids Corporation