Booting Linux from an internal IDE Zip disk?

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Fri Dec 28 16:10:23 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:13:11AM -0800, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> 8. The VMWare idea seemed interesting until someone noted that it
> costs money.  Matt Kirk probably had it right when he suggested that
> it would be too expensive a solution. If it costs money we probably
> cannot afford to do it.  Most software, no matter how reasonable in
> price, becomes expensive when you have to install it on 20 or 40 or
> 80 computers.
> -
> They may have quantity discounts, and educational discounts.  It
> might be worth at least looking into.
> http://www.vmware.com/solutions/academic/

I was recently (~2 weeks) quoted a price of $130/seat @ 30 seats.
They may have some sort of site license available as well.
Personally, I don't think anyone should have to buy more than one
license, as I believe they don't say you can't run more than one copy
per cpu.  One 30GHz CPU is roughtly equivalent to 30 1GHz machines in
my mind (except the latter is more reliable).  It should be possible
to run it via NFS.

With 3 T3 lines, it doesn't take more than one incident to justify
security.  (Look at all the places that have spent money on software
that keeps people out of cheaper OS's [I believe Lincoln mentioned
that RCHS tried to do this recently for their windoze boxes].  The
difference being that those attempts are rather misguided.)  The
lawsuit or the loss of work from a single DDoS would probably cover
the cost.

Just my $0.02.

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
You dialed 5483.