seeking general guidelines for installing software on Linux

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jan 8 21:12:24 PST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Lorie Obal wrote:
> I was going to install the SUN j2sdk and I wasn't sure what directory to
> put it in.  What are the rules of thumb for placement of different types
> of software installs for Linux? Do some of the packages automatically
> install to the correct directory?
>
> I was also trying to upgrade my version of the RPM since the install
> wouldn't fly with my current version (I'm using what came with RH 6.0) I
> grabbed the upgrade from RH site, but it wouldn't install - it seems they
> were assuming something I don't know about which packgage goes where or
> order of installing them (?).

I am sure everyone on the list has their own system for installation of
software, but I will offer mine:

I install all of the packaged based applications in /bin, and /usr/bin or
variation of those.
Binaries that are linked as static are usually eft in /sbin and /usr/sbin.

Anything that I download and compile on my own usually goes into
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin for static binaries

Exceptions include:
When I compile a new static bash I often place it in /sbin so that my root
will have a shell that does not need any libraries in the event other on
"/" (root) paritions are unmountable or maintenance is needed on other
disks.
When I download a new kernel source tree, I place it in
/usr/src/linux-version-number and then make a sym link from /usr/src/linux
to it.

Other variations exits, and everyone has their own schemes.

If your installation is done with a package (a package that expects you to
have a tarball placed in a special place so the package can unpack and
install it, then you should follow the package's instructions unless you
want to roll your own.

Hope this helps...
-ME