finding cheap hardware for Linux?

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Jan 5 13:26:10 PST 2001

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 08:25:36PM +0000, E Frank Ball wrote:

> Documentation is weak.  Very alien concepts.  Never got it running.

Oh, but that's how you know you've gotton ahold of a legitimate Daniel J.
Bernstein product :)

Back to the original topic...

When shopping for old hardware, i think it does pay to consider the power
usage.  If it's a 24/7 box, then it seems the power costs of older hardware
could eat up any initial savings.  This is just an assumption on my part --
i really don't know how a 486 CPU with it's larger die compares in power
usage to say a K6-2 or how a 1995 2gb SCSI drive compares to a modern 30GB
beast.  I do that for less noise and power, i'd rather have one decent sized
drive than a string of tiny ones.

Am i totally off on my assumptions?

-t