Is Mandrake known to have any problems on AMD systems?

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jun 18 23:09:43 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 09:46:04PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Here's what happened:
> I looked at RPMFind for XFree86 version 4.1.0, and discovered that most of
> the time, the Mandrake RPM's were the most recent releases of the programs
> that I was looking for.  In this case, they were the _only_ XFree86 4.1.0
> RPM's, so I tried to install them on my Red Hat 7.1 system (with an AMD
> Athlon processor).  Well, a whole bunch of dependency issues came up, and I
> even ended up upgrading RPM itself, replacing it with a version from
> Mandrake.

One of Mandrake's big selling points is that they've always got really
recent versions of things.

You might also find that SuSE has the most recent XFree86 RPM most often;
they'd done a lot of work on it.

In general, I would *never* suggest upgrading RPM to a version that's not
from the same place as your Linux distribution.  It's just too likely that
the makers of the other distribution have done something different with
their version of RPM that will break being able to use it on your current
system.

> Then, when I tried to use RPM again, I got a segmentation fault.  In order
> to make RPM usable, I had to download it as a source tarball from rpm.org
> and compile it myself (at which point it worked fine).  The only explanation
> I can think of is that a Pentium-optimized compiler like is used by Mandrake
> might not work correctly with an AMD system, but I really don't know.  I'm
> especially confused because the Mandrake RPM's with XFree86 seem to be
> working perfectly.  Can anyone tell me: is my guess correct, or is there
> something else at work here?

Hard to know about your particular guess...  What was the full filename of
the RPM of RPM that you installed?

(basic advice, though: if you're using a RedHat box, stick with RedHat's
version of RPM; installing other stuff from elsewhere is fine, though.  If
you're using Mandrake, stick with Mandrake's version of RPM.  etc.)
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell