Deja Vu all over again

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Mar 30 00:04:03 PST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > # dselect
> No such file or directory

This was my mistake. My brain was thinking "dmesg" (used to get a list of
messages reported duriong boot time from kernel etc.) but my fingers typed
"dselect" (package addition program for debian)

If you do manage to get the file based copy set up, this would be another
long list of data that could be useful. Its usefulness is diminished right
now since "eth0" iis recognized but we may come back to this.

For example, I have used an Intel motherboard in a piece of junk ZEOS
Pantera that has resources allocated for an on-board SCSI bus and
Ethernet card. However, neither of these devices had integrated ports, nor
access points for connection! It was like they were planned and then
ditched, but the resources claimed by them were still showing up as
devices. This meant that I would have had 2 ethernet interfaces and 2 SCSI
boards bnut only one of each could be connected.

The thought in checking what dmesg reported would be to make sure only one
ethernet interface was found and check to see if anything else stands out.

For now, we can assume you only have one piece of ethernet hardware on
your box.

-ME