Deja Vu all over again

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Mar 29 14:35:19 PST 2001

I am going to assume that this has not yet been resolved and take a stab
at it. If this was resolved, and I did not notice, then skip this and
please accept my appologies.

Could you reboot your Linux box and then as root could you go to a command
prompt and run the following command, and then take the contents of the
output for each and paste them into one e-mail message for review on the
list:

# ifconfig
# ifconfig eth0
# route -n
# cat /proc/interrupts
# cat /proc/ioports
# cat /resolve.conf
# dselect
# lsmod

It is ok to just copy and paste them "as-is" and not try to format them on
your own.

*OR*

If you can be sure there is no file in "/tmp" called "netstuff.txt" then
you could append a ">> /tmp/netstuff.txt" to the end of each of the
commands listed above and then "attach" the file "/tmp/netstuff.txt" to
your e-mail message you send to the list.

Also, could you take one of your working machines (macs I think you said
you had) on your network that shares use of the router and go to the
TCP/IP control panel and give me the following information that should be
listed in that control panel of that mac:
IP Address	:
Subnet Mask	:
Gateway/router	:
Domain Name Svrs:

Please also verify the network you have looks kind of like this:
<!-- sorry about this html junk, I assume that the reason for the bad
formatting of the previous messages was the use of a mail client by a
sender that uses variable width fonts instead of fixed width fonts -->

<pre>
Mac1------|H|
Mac2------|U|-- LINKSYS Router(?) --- DSL
Linux Box-|B|
</pre>

Does your Linksys router (? Assuming it is a router) only use DHCP to hand
out IP addresses to clients? Does it allow you to set static addresses
too? Are the static addresses in the same range as the DHCP assigned
addresses or does their manual only allow static addresses to be outside a
certain range? Does the router implement rules to disallow any passing of
packets from IP addresses that it does not have listed as having a DHCP
lease? Do both of your macs get their address via DHCP/BootP or are they
static assignments?

Sorry to ask for all of this information again, but I would like to see it
all after a reboot so we can be sure no other changes or oddness is in
effect for this session.

Thanks,
-ME