Stampede

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 23 00:03:22 PST 2001

begin  Rafe Magnuson quotation:
> Ah! That's the insight I was looking for. So it _is_ faster then?

It did seem _somewhat_ that way -- especially where X was concerned.
But straight-up comparisons are notoriously difficult, because there are
usually way too many uncontrolled variables.  I could have fooled
myself, so don't count on it.  Stands to reason that it would be,
anyway.

Also, bear in mind that some code just doesn't benefit from that
treatment -- and a certain amount of RAM bloat may happen.  (I didn't
notice any, particularly, in this case.)  Note that the Stampede people
are using pgcc, a single-pass Pentium optimised compiler.  It was the
first product of the Pentium Compiler Group, a consortium that included
participation from Intel and CYGNUS, and that later produced egcs, which
has been adopted by the FSF as gcc 2.8 and above.  Before these two,
there were no gcc variants producing better than 486 optimisation (e.g.,
gcc 2.7.x).

I know of no other distribution that produces binaries using pgcc.
(It's not portable to other CPU architectures, which is part of the
reason we got egcs.)

> From your experience does the file/config structure resemble slackware
> to any degree?

The (default) init structure is very similar (BSD-ish) to the old
Slackware one, and it has the same general sort of simple layout.
There's a package to substitute SysVInit, if you prefer (which I do).

Also, the installer reminded me a _lot_ of Slackware's.

The FAQ says that, also, Stampede's initial package list was inspired by
Slackware's.  I wouldn't know about that, from my own encounters.

rick at linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.