Stampede

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 20:51:06 PST 2001

begin ME quotation:

> I have not seen or met someone that uses stampede....

I've used it, and I liked it very much.  Its clean design is a breath of
fresh air (no cruddy Red Hat-style maze stands in the way of your
_genuinely_ comprehending system configuration), and the optimisation
for performance makes you wish that other distributions would do
likewise.

The package system sucks (about as badly as RPM does), and there is no
properly coherent distribution _policy_ (except the one inherent in
their basically doing things sanely, which is gratifying).  So, it loses
compared to .deb-based distributions with strong policies (Stormix,
Progeny, Libranet, Debian) as to maintainability.  The installer was a
bit rough, when I last tried it (v. 0.83, I think).

> ...but they claim to target the new Linux user.

Incorrect.  They do not.

o  Are you perhaps thinking of "We wanted a distribution that was fast
   and easy to use for the new user, yet versatile for the power user."
   That hardly constitutes "targeting the new Linux user".

o  It is disclaimed to be pre-release software (which it indeed is).

o  The very first item on the FAQ states:

      Is Stampede Linux easy to install?

      Well, let's just say it's getting better every day =). Check out the
      new Pre-Release install guide and decide for yourself. In general,
      if you have installed Linux before, you shouldn't have any problems
      with installing Stampede.

That sure doesn't sound like "targeting the new Linux user" to me.

rick at linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.