eide cd-rw rfi?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 18:43:01 PST 2001

begin Devin Carraway quotation:

> Recent versions of the kernel (2.2.16 or later, 2.4.x is fine also) and
> cdrecord are necessary -- any current distribution will have them.  RedHat6.2
> and Debian Woody will both work.  I'd suggest avoiding Corel since it's based
> on Debian Slink, and is pretty much obsolete by now.

You _can_ start out by loading Corel Linux OS, and then doing a normal
"apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade it to Debian 2.2
"potato".  The only real obstacle is that Corel's mutant KDE 1.x
packages do not cleanly upgrade to "potato's" 2.x versions.

The Corel KDE packages can be neatly excised by following instructions
here:  http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2000/25/mail#2

(More-experienced Debian users could just snip the mutant package entries
out of /var/lib/dpkg/status , but it's nice to have a recipe.)

rick at linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.