eide cd-rw rfi?

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Thu Mar 22 15:36:54 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:28:42PM -0800, Paul wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha EIDE 8x8x24 CD-RW online.  ZD's
> compatibility chart lists the SCSI version as Linux compatible, but
> doesn't list the EIDE (both are model 8824, -E for EIDE, -S for SCSI).

In general ATAPI (EIDE) drives work just fine.  I have an 8424 (same drive,
but rewrites at 4x instead of 8x) and it works perfectly using the standard
kernel modules (ide-scsi, et al) and cdrecord/cdrdao/etc.

> & am still attempting my 1st install.  Assuming I get the drive, I don't
> need any additional Linux software  than what's on the CDs of Linux
> flavors I've got (Caldera, Corel, Debian GNU), right?

Recent versions of the kernel (2.2.16 or later, 2.4.x is fine also) and
cdrecord are necessary -- any current distribution will have them.  RedHat6.2
and Debian Woody will both work.  I'd suggest avoiding Corel since it's based
on Debian Slink, and is pretty much obsolete by now.

If you're not comfortable on the commandline you'll probably want a GUI CD
creator tool -- there are quite a few around, of which gcombust and xcdroast
are both well spoken of.  There are KDE-based utilities along the same lines
if you swing that way.

>Do I assume an
> internal EIDE CD-RW is bootable?  If not, would the following work:  I

It's bootable assuming you install it in your PC in the proper IDE
configuration (master on a bus, or elsewhere if your BIOS supports it).

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, 1024D/E9ABFCD2;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++