attempting the dreaded laptop install...

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 08:49:22 PST 2001

--- Lorie Obal <lobal at cds1.net> wrote:

> > questions for you:
> > What is the laptop?
> It's a Dell Latitude CPX
*okay
> > What directory/folder is the RH7 stuck in?
> c: Redhat
> |------->RedHat
>     |-------->base
>     |-------->instimage
>     |-------->RPMS
>     |-------->7.0 respin-d
>     |-------->apm7.0.rpm
>     |-------->atim170.rpm
>     |-------->!75olonx.rpm
> I also have sitting on logical drive D:
>                     folders: autoboot, fips20,fipsdocs,
>                     exes:    autoboot, fips, gzip, loadlin,
> rawrite,rdev, restorrb
>                     tgz Files: lodlin16
>  (I'm assuming he correctly copied everything to HD before handing me
> this.)
*Well, either search for the boot.img or get it from ftp.redhat.com,
then copy it to the same location as rawrite.
> What is the current booting operating system?
> WIN2000 pro on 12 gig HD partitioned: C: ->2.92 GB, D:->2.92 GB
> (I don't exactly have the OS on CD, if ya know what I mean...)
> I plan to devote the rest of the drive to Linux as I need to be able
> to dual-boot.
*Before you install RH7, move all win2k stuff to c:, move all parts of
RH7 on d: to c:, I recommend devoting your d: to RH7.
> I currently have CD on board and am running floppy drive externally -
> default boot before HD.
*If you had a boot CD you could use that, but be _very_ sure the floppy
is recognized before the HD.
> Other hardware info:
> pointer devices: both touchpad and IBM-style nipple (this is taking
> some getting used to) Xircom-combo card (already have a Linux network
at home - this is first laptop) I have been told that RH7.0 recognizes
this hardware on similar model without problems. There is also USB,
standard external ports and there appears to be an IR interface - but I
don't see it recognized in WIN2000 - maybe driver isn't loaded.
> I also have questions about setting Linux partitions for install.  I
> would like to do a "whole-shebang" install, particularly with server
> capabilities and I have had trouble in the past with the install
barking about not enough room on partitions.  I'm also not sure if I
have to explicitly define /usr and /home or if this is taken care of by
the install (this is my first 7.0 install).
*I used RH6.2 server install to get the schema, then reisntalled later
for the custom version. In 3G, /dev/hda yielded:
/dev/hda1 /boot     20M
/dev/hda2 extended  remainder of drive
/dev/hda5 /usr      1.2G
/dev/hda6 /home     1.2G
/dev/hda7 /var      200
/dev/hda8 /         200
/dev/hda9 swap      200
If your c: is already used, that's /dev/hda1, so the rest can remain
extended as hda2, then use hda5,6,7,8,9,10 for the rest. Yes, I
successfully used RH6.2 dual-boot with win2k. Windows doesn't ROCK,
it's like SAND, it gets EVERYWHERE!
> I'm currently going to SFSU and the business CIS faculty have been
> showing more interest in Linux (I've been pushing them on this) . I
wanted to be able to bring in a fully functional box to show them stuff
 I've worked on and how students would learn more if they'd start
playing with Linux.  Any help getting this puppy up and running will be
appreciated.
> -Lorie

=====
___shaving weekly with Occam's Razor___
Visit the Northern California Church of Freethought
at http://www.geocities.com/dolo724 ...Think for Yourself!