The Seawolf bit me!

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at email.com
Fri May 4 17:52:58 PDT 2001

After upgrading my Red Hat Linux 7.0 system to Red Hat 7.1, two strange
things started to happen:

1. When I try to play MP3 files with mpg123, it fails telling me that it
could not find a supported bitrate (it may seem like a hardware problem, but
it worked before the upgrade).  When I tried using xmms, the MP3 file played
but it had a nasty hiss and played too slowly.  All I know is that the
bitrate for my soundcard (it's an onboard audio card that sndconfig
identified as a "VIA Technologies|AC97 Audio Controller") is somehow locked
at 48KHz.  Is it easy to fix, or should I just replace the card with an SB
Live?

2. My system no longer works as an FTP server, Telnet server, etc.  Whenever
I try to get into it from anywhere on my LAN using anything except NFS or
ssh, I get a "Connection refused" error.  Perhaps inetd is now messed up?

Anyone know what's wrong in either case and/or how to fix it?