omfg! (eth0 becomes eth1, eth1 become eth2 and eth2 becomes eth0!!?!)

Jake Jake at callatg.com
Mon Nov 5 00:28:06 PST 2001

Thats right.
I can't even believe it.
I feel like an idiot.

I have no idea, but somehow after taking my server down for a moment (init
6)
when it came back up
eth0 became eth1
eth1 become eth2
and eth2 became eth0

This doesnt work for me.
This is really bad.
I don't see why it should do that all things considered.
I passed my kernel ONE command that could have done anything (but not this
kind of thing):
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

I just wanted to have it drop all connections while it was up, then I
rebooted to flush the rule ( i know it can do it otherways but I dont know
how off the top of my head.)

I have no idea what the hell happened. This is insanity!

I couldnt find any place on the entire system to reconfigure the eth cards
other than /etc/modules.conf
It had these lines inside it:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth1 tulip
alias eth2 eepro100
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias eth0 tulip
alias usb-controller usb-usci

So I finally (i hope) found where eth0, eth1, eth2 can be changed into other
devices, however eth0 is tulip and so is eth1? How can those be the same
devices?

Is there any other  place that has configuration files for setting up the
alias of eth0 => hardware?

All i have to say for myself is that I feel amazingly stupid.
How could I have done this?

Arg.
I suck.

-