How do you ask your nameserver is he's up or not

linmail linmail at itab.com
Thu Sep 20 18:53:30 PDT 2001

What's the right way to test if the nameserver's up?

I did a thing that checked if the pid file existed but the name server
crashed and the pid file was still there. There must be some ping this port
or ps | grep thing or what.

I know, I know, reinstall bind. But until then I playing with shell scripts.

On another subject; do this:

whois apple.com

what's up with that HUH? terrorists.apple.com????

s1[/home/samdam]> whois apple.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

APPLE.COM.IS.THE.CHOICE.OF.ALL.SELF.RESPECTING.TERRORISTS.NET
APPLE.COM.IS.KRAD-NEAT.BUT.SO.IS.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG
APPLE.COM

To single out one record, look it up with "xxx", where xxx is one of the
of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them up
with "=xxx" to receive a full display for each record.

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:09:58 EDT <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

I email JIMPHILLIPS.ORG but haven't heard anything yet.