NBLUG mirrors

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Sun Sep 30 23:39:24 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 10:34:53PM -0700, troy wrote:
> So who or what is paying for bandwidth?    How about the hardware -- where'd
> that come from? (belated questions, i know)  Anyone care to share usage
> stats?  Just how much action does our little www.nblug.org get?

The bandwidth and rack space is generously donated by Sonic.  Way back when,
Dane said so long as we don't start running something extremely popular ala
porn and saturate his connections, I could put a box there.  The box is
owned by myself and operated by Eric, Brad and me.  Devin helps out on
occasion as well.

Stats would be an interesting thing to start keeping track of now that we
actually have stuff on there besides the web site.  I can say that Frank's
firewall section gets hits off of Google when people search for such
items...it's kinda funny and very cool all at the same time.  I'll see what
I can do to start gathering and reporting on stats this week.

If you are interested in hardware stats, network throughput and other geeky
kinds of things, post your questions here and we'll answer 'em as we have
time...in fact, I don't even remember what that box is..I know i's a K6..but
beyond that...my memory ain't what it used to be I spose.  ;)

> Thanks, though i'm sure you guys had fun putting everything together.

Hehe...did I ever tell anyone about the late night Brad and I spent there
rebuilding that box after it got cracked? ;)  Seriously, though, we did have
fun building it ages ago....it's only recently (like within the past year or
so) that NBLUG has started really using it.

> -t (just got 150KB/sec from ftp.kernel.org, but it's nice for all to have a
> local mirror)

I can say that Sonic has some odd things going on on it's internal network.
When I was doing some work there a few weeks back I pointed one of the guys
there to NBLUG's mirror - he ended up getting an extremely lower throughput
off of the local mirror than from kernel.org...I went back to the
workstation I was working on, and got normal throughput.  So if you are a
Sonic customer it's possible you might see some odd performance like that.

While we're on the topic of the NBLUG box...the reason Eric has limited the
things we mirror (like only .bz2 versions of files from kernel.org) is
because we discovered that the mirrors we wanted to run were going to take
up WAY more space than we had planned on.  I believe the drive that's in
there doing JUST mirrors and the NBLUG web space is 30G's.  I've
contemplated buying another 30G drive and doing RAID 0, but at the moment
funds are low in the ol' checkbook.  Hopefully sometime around spring we'll
be putting more storage online on that box...or maybe even a new box - who
knows.

-Dustin