Kernel Creation (was Mwave Winmodem)

Shorter Rankin nitehawk999 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 22:44:06 PST 2002

ME said:
>(Sorry, let me address the other Q's too)

Thanks for this. I'm still interested in recompiling the kernel
but not in the next 15 minutes. Suprising how easy it was
to support the Zip 100 parallel drive. I just wish that
Iomega had mentioned that sdb4 was the device
name I needed.

>When you do this, you are only compiling a new kernel. Generally
>speaking, the "whole system" often refers to the kernel and all of the
>applications that suport its working.

Sorry for the poor terminology. My question is about a new
kernel vs. a whole new source tree. If I'm compiling a new
kernel and haven't gotton an entire new source tree,
what is it that gets compiled? IOW does the make utility
drop down below the kernel directories?

Several years ago I checked a book out of the public
library - a book about Linux networking. Enclosed CD
has an old copy (1996, 1997?) of Slackware Linux.
I installed it so I could follow along. Then I recompiled
the kernel using make menuconfig. All of my hardware
was recognized, but Xwindows never started - error
messages complained about missing libraries. I'm
sure the Slackware installation routine didn't check
for unresolved dependencies.

If I do recompile the kernel on my RH8 machine
by hand then I lose the safety net RH has in
their installation routine - checking for
unresolved dependencies.

Also thanks for uname -a. That returns
what I thought it would.

Nother rookie question. I'm