mandrake connection trouble

yuri329 yuri329 at sonic.net
Tue Feb 5 17:22:23 PST 2002

I recently installed Mandrake Linux on my pc. I was able to get online,
but almost every single file I download seems to stall after a few hundred
kilobytes. I've tried downloading many different files from many different
servers, using a variety of clients (mozilla, ftp, ncftp, wget) and all
but one download has been unable to complete. Most die after 200 - 300k
are downloaded. I've even tried downloading from a webserver on my lan,
and the same thing happens. After many repeated attempts to download Opera
(1.6mb) from ftp.opera.com, I was finally succsfull. Aside from this one
bit of luck, I have been unable to download any other files.

Strangely, when I started a webserver on the troubled box and downloaded a
file FROM it to a healthy machine, the transfer went smoothly. I tried a
10mb test file several times, and each transfered without error. It can also
download from itself without trouble. So, as far as I can tell, the
problem is just with inbound traffic.

I'm quite certain the problem isn't with my dsl; all the other computers
are able to get online and download things just fine. This box, prior to
having mandrake installed, also was able to download just fine. I'm
totally stumped as to what might cause this. Any ideas or sugestions would
be apprecieated.

-leif