[Fwd: ezmlm warning]

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sat Jan 5 13:44:35 PST 2002

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:26:36AM -0800, Walter Coole wrote:
> I get occasional warning messages from ezmlm.  Is this a problem with ezmlm (ie
> it's attempting to relay and my isp is (properly) refusing to do so) or is it a
> problem with my isp (exmlm isn't attempting to relay)?
>
> It seems to me that relay has been used by spammers to get around anti-spam
> filters and that domains that accept relay are being put on the
> real-time-black-hole list.  Am I confused?
[snip]
> > <wcoole at bcoole.com>:
> > 65.214.144.4 does not like recipient.
> > Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <wcoole at bcoole.com>... Relaying denied
> > Giving up on 65.214.144.4.

Looks like Monitor.net set up their primary mail server to handle your
domain, but didn't yet set up their secondary mailserver.  You should bug
Monitor.net to get the secondary server set up.  (Or to fix the DNS)

'dig bcoole.com mx' gives me:
bcoole.com.		86400	IN	MX	10 mail2.monitor.net.
bcoole.com.		86400	IN	MX	0 mail.monitor.net.

and:
mail2.monitor.net.	86400	IN	A	65.214.144.4
mail.monitor.net.	86400	IN	A	65.214.144.7

Which means that the first thing somebody trying to send you email is
supposed to do is try 65.214.144.7, and if that fails, try .4.

As Mark pointed out, we could set up qmail to only deliver to your domain
via mail.monitor.net, but down that path lies madness.  The right solution
is for your ISP to fix the problem; us setting up specific, hard-coded
relaying will break if you change ISP or the ISP changes setup and other
people will have the same problem emailing you and you just won't hear about
it.

(Mark: that 145.145 address is an A record, which is irrelevant for email
unless there's no MX record.  I'd bet that's the website)
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell