Mandrake??

curt baldwin alfageek at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 17 18:15:36 PST 2002

On Thursday 17 January 2002 15:35, you wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:14:17PM -0800, Tom Rowe (PKV) wrote:
> } My question is, I noticed at the meeting and in the few posts I have
> } read, most users are referring to RedHat, Suse, and Debian.  I have not
> } heard or seen reference to Mandrake.  I started with Redhat, v6.2 and
> } 7.0 for learning purposes, as well as Debian.  I found that Mandrake is
> } easier to install and work with.  So, finally the question:  Any
> } thoughts on Mandrake, good or bad, why not use it, why use it, etc.

I have used SuSE, RH, Mandrake, Caldera, and several Debian distros.

Currently, Mandrake is, IMHO, the easiest distro out.  It installs well, is
fairly complete, and is more cutting edge in nature than many other distros.
Also, it is the most popular distro out as of recent surveys.

However, my preferred distro, today, is SuSE 7.3.  It is a voluminous
collection, can be installed from a DVD(1 disk), is absolutely rock solid,
and, if you use a GUI, has arguably, the best admin tool available. Also, I
find the online update tool to be easy and almost foolproof.

My $0.02 worth...
--
curt baldwin
curtis_baldwin at pacbell.net