Homemade Dvorak keyboards

Mark Janes mkjanes at sonic.net
Sat Jan 26 04:59:06 PST 2002

    I should have been more detailed in my description of how I modify a
keyboard. It's very important to be patient and use no more force than
necessary to pry the keys free- I probably should have emphasized the
word 'gentle.' Even then I suppose there's the chance of damaging the
underlying components and/or the keys themselves, which is why it's
important not to do this on a keyboard which isn't disposable. I have
done this several times on a variety of keyboards and have yet to have a
problem.
    My keyboard only ran me $20 and works very well. As for the software
end, as far as I know Linux fully supports Dvorak at console level and
in X, although I had to reset my GNOME keyboard to the xkb keyboard
(which basically tells GNOME to use the default X keyboard).

    If there's anything else, please e-mail me or post to this group.

Mark Janes