Reconfiguring lpd permissions

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun Jul 21 20:09:17 PDT 2002

 From RedHat's errata page.  checked against my own RH7.3 box.

The updated packages from this advisory change the job submission
policy (in /etc/lpd.perms) so that jobs from remote hosts are refused
by default.

Those running print servers may want to adjust this policy as
appropriate, for example to give access to certain hosts or subnets.
For details on how to do this see the lpd.perms(5) man page.

Since Red Hat Linux 7.1, default installations include ipchains rules
blocking remote access to the print spooler IP port; as a result those
installations already reject remote job submissions. However, Red Hat
Linux 7 machines and any machine upgraded to a later release (as
opposed to
having been freshly installed) will not have ipchains rules in place
by default.

After upgrading, you should check that the new configuration file is
activated. To do this, type the following command:

grep "X NOT SERVER" /etc/lpd.perms

If this commad returns no output, you will need to put the new
configuration file in place by typing:

mv /etc/lpd.perms.rpmnew /etc/lpd.perms

At 04:51 PM 7/21/2002 -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:

>I still need to re-configure lpd to allow remote printing before
>restarting would change anything, don't I?  It seems that there's nothing
>wrong with lpd itself; the problem is the configuration, and I can't make
>enough sense out of the configuration to fix it.
>

>>From: Mark Street <jet at sonic.net>
>>To: <talk at nblug.org>, talk at nblug.org
>>Subject: Re: Reconfiguring lpd permissions
>>Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 15:21:58 -0700
>>
>>service lpd restart
>>
>>as root should do it on both machines, assuming you upgraded both of them.

Mark Street
Chiropractic Case Studies Reference Page - http://www.chiro.org/cases/
Privacy and Security On The Internet - http://www.chiro.org/security/
ListServ Admin; chiro-news and chiro-discipline @streetchiro.com