RPM apt

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jul 22 13:12:34 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:28:02PM -0700, Mark Street wrote:
> This is one of the drawbacks/strengths/weakness of a "database" holding the
> keys to these package tools.  I could install sendmail, then break it by
> moving the binaries out of the way and putting the symlink back to qmail's
> sendmail wrapper.  Then on OS upgrade having to go back in and break it
> again.   Oh well....

Well, I can think of 2 solutions:
1) Install qmail via an RPM instead of by hand from source.  If you build
the RPM by hand from source it's almost the same thing.
2) Install a "dummy" RPM that satisfies the sendmail dependency without
doing anything else.  On Debian a great example would be the
"java-virtual-machine-dummy" package.

In fact, I did a little teensy bit of research.

Create sendmail-dummy.spec holding entirely this:
############# cut here ##############
Name: sendmail-dummy
Version: 1.0
Release: 1
Provides: sendmail
Group: Daemons
Copyright: GPL

%description
Just a Virtual or "dummy" package to provide sendmail when it's not really
there.

%files

Then "rpm -ba sendmail-dummy.spec"

Done.

You might try changing "Provides:" to "Provides: sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail" if that doesn't work.
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244