RedHat Patent Apps

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 14:00:34 PDT 2002

What I've been hearing (especially on mailing lists such as Open Source
:Now:, which is sponsored by Red Hat) is that Red Hat's plans to use patents
are meant to prevent other companies (e.g. Microsoft) from creating
proprietary software that is based on their open source software.  However,
this should not affect other open source companies (e.g. SuSE) or
non-commercial entities (e.g. NBLUG).

Their official explanation of their policy is available at
http://www.redhat.com/legal/patent_policy.html