[Security Announce] MDKSA-2002:040 - openssh update (fwd)

augie schwer at sonic.net
Tue Jun 25 08:17:51 PDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, derf wrote:
# My server is coloed in Texas - you'll hear the screams when I reboot and ssh
# doesn't come back.

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/05/09/sysadminguide.html

this is a good o'reilly article about DMD's (daemon monitoring daemon's).
so you could tell this daemon (monit) to monitor your sshd, and if/when it
goes down it will restart it for you. you can do the same thing with httpd
or any other service, it can also email you or perform whatever action you
like.

-augie

--
"A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a
one-way street." - Doug Linder