AMD bug(s); nVidia script

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Fri Mar 8 18:49:08 PST 2002

Here's some more information on that problem with AMD processors
and AGP video (or maybe it's a new problem):

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020123-amd-news.html

Looks like PCI video cards are safe. The above page also
mentioned another bug, the "INVPLG bug". Google sent me here for
that one:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/12224

As far as I can tell from the descriptions, one bug has something
to do with 4k vs. 4M video paging and the other bug involves
memory writes from two separate caches clobbering each other.
Daniel Robbins at Gentoo claims the two bugs are not related but
all I can see is that they have similar symptoms (crashing of AMD
systems that use AGP) and both seem to use the mem=nopentium
work-around. One bug or two? I dunno.

The linuxquestions page got a little off of the original topic
and migrated to nVidia problems. If you have a buggy nVidia card,
try the shell script near the bottom of the page.

A.