(Re-)learning NFS

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Sun Mar 10 12:01:16 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:01:39PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >You have two default gateways setup.  How is it to know which one to use?
> >Seems like one of the last two lines shouldn't be there.
>
> 172.16.106.1 is not a gateway.  How do I remove it from the routing table
> (the man page for the route command doesn't make much sense)?

/sbin/route del default gw 172.16.106.1

or if you have it installed

/sbin/ip route del default via 172.16.106.1

This command uses the new iproute2 (RH and Deb pkg iproute) utility to
manage the routing table.  Using the 'ip' command, you can actually
have multiple routes (default or otherwise), equalize over the two
routes and a bunch of other neat stuff.  It is a bit more complicated,
so it can take some getting used to, but it is a much more powerful
tool (it replaces route, arp, ifconfig and iptunnel).  The output of
'ip route' ('ip r' works also) can show more information in some cases
than the old route command, such as the case of multiple routes to one
location.  The old route omits info about route priority or
equalization, which can cause confusion on systems where this is the
desired behavior.  Also, newer kernels can route packets differently
based on who sent them ('ip rule'), which the old route can't handle.
The package also includes the 'tc' command, which is useful for
setting up bandwidth controls.

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.
-- Jean Cocteau