RH7.2 & Grub

tengel tengel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 13 14:16:02 PST 2002

Just an FYI as well, it's a two stage boot loader, unlike LILO, and hence doesn't require recompiling a binary boot sector and installing it -- simply edit the config file and reboot. The primary boot sector image then knows to look for the secondary at a certain cylinder.

One trick I've found handy is adding an additional grub.conf parameter "fallback", in case a kernel upgrade goes awry or something.  Assuming you have two kernels, and they boot from top to bottom as listed in preference, the config would be like:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
fallback=1
timeout=10