New Mouse

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Thu Mar 28 10:49:27 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:06:12AM -0800, ME wrote:
> Debian 2.2 still ships with XF86 v3 AFAIK. I am not sure if X v3 supports
> the wheel. I seem to recall thst you can at least get the wheel to act as
> a center button with v3, but dont recall the rotation being used, but this
> memory has holes.

Yes, XF86 v3 can support "wheel" mice.  The wheel just shows up as mouse
buttons 4 and 5.  Debian 2.2 probably doesn't have a lot of applications
that support the wheel without effort, though.  Most GNOME applications
support a wheel "out of the box" because Gtk+ does.  Netscape can be
convinced to, Galeon and Mozilla support it...

I recall the original poster mentioning 5-buttons and a wheel...  This could
be a problem with X.  You see, The X protocol has a built-in limitation to 5
mouse buttons (sure made sense at the time; 5 fingers, 5 buttons...) and a
"wheel" is three buttons all on its own.

Here's a bit from a v3 XF86Config that should work for a 3-button mouse:
Section "Pointer"
        Device          "/dev/psaux"
        Protocol        "PS/2"
        # Emulate3Buttons
        ZAxisMapping    4 5
EndSection

Try with and without "Emulate3Buttons" on, try "GlidePointPS/2", "IMPS/2",
"MouseManPlusPS/2", "NetMousePS/2", "NetScrollPS/2" and "ThinkingMousePS/2"
instead of just "PS/2".  You might need to add "Buttons 5" in there.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell