lpd problems

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sun May 5 11:11:20 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 08:24:13AM -0700, Thomas A. Rice wrote:
> I know I did need to do lpd restarts to re-awaken things if I messed up a
> direct device access.

I think lpd makes an assumption that it will be the only thing changing any
status on the port, so if you do anything directly and bypass, you can leave
lpd assuming the port is in one state and having the port in an entirely
different state.

> When you get this working, I'd be interested in finding out if you find
> an acceptable group of settings for color printing. While I've gotten
> excellent printing from an hp694C, my 855C gives poor color at best..
> It is one of the printers that is not under the set supported by HP's linux
> inkjet printer drivers for linux work.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=60992

You might want to try CUPS instead of lpd or lprng.

I believe there are RedHat packages for CUPS out there, but when I tried
them quite a while ago they were poorly done.  If you were running Debian
you could just do "apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-driver-gimpprint
foomatic-db" and you'd end up with cups, some appropriate drivers to try out
with your printer and working "lpr" and "lpq" type commands for talking to
cups.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell