One last netbooting issue

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 23 16:15:46 PDT 2002

If you have control over the boot floppy, try using the netboot stuff and
give an explicit arg for where to find the root, but allow it to grab an
IP via their DHCP server.

Then you provide your kernel with a netboot modification to work with the
netboot stuff, set it on the server mentioned explcitily from the disk,
and then it dl the modified kernel and hands the kernel the IP addressit
should use. The client then has no absolute need for DHCP. Of course, if
the DHCP Server should try to change the lease on-the-fly and then do
something to revoke the license and hand it to some other machine, then
you could have problems....

I do not recall right now, but I dont think ours use DHCP. But even if
they did, the NFS mount is exported from the server as readOnly so there
is notstate. The shutdown (desired) for these NC is to just shut them
off! (Not state, noit disk corruption because no write acccess! :-)

-ME