Inquiring Minds

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed Nov 6 12:18:32 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 11:36:46AM -0800, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> Using GMT (UTC) internally with the choice of PST or PDT happening at
[snip]
> Unfortunately, Windows doesn't support anything sane like this and requires
> that the hardware clock have its timezone changed twice a year (from GMT-7

According to a couple of posts in the most recent RISKS digest
( ftp://ftp.sri.com/risks/risks-22.35 ), I'm wrong about this for "Windows"
in general.

Windows 2000 (and I guess XP..  NT, too?) supposedly do have support for (or
default to?) using GMT in the BIOS clock; it's primarily Windows 98/95 and
other DOS based versions of Windows that have the problem of timezone
handling being implemented on top of a system that doesn't know about
timezones at all (DOS).
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^               IRC: Freiheit at freenode
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244