printer problem...stumped

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Nov 27 15:58:52 PST 2002

Well, two more final suggestions.

Make sure your setting in Windows - Control Panel - Network - Access are set
to Share and not User level access.

Make sure your printer definition for cups is correct...  To make sure, pop
open a browser to port 631 on your localhost  http://localhost:631 and
reconfigure your printer.... make sure cups is running....

One of my smb printers defined on my Linux box running CUPs...

/etc/cups/printers.conf
<Printer COMPAQ>
Info Compaq On Windoze Box
Location 192.168.1.5
DeviceURI smb://dozesucks/compaq
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

If yours is not like the one above reconfigure your printer in cups admin
interface and see if you can print a test page.  If not scrap cups and go
back to lprng.

On my RH8 box I can switch between the two CUPs or LPRnG.... not that you
would want to do that .... but from time to time...

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 14:12, augie wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:18:17PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> > Then this seems to be authentication with the share.  How do you have the
> > printer shared on the doze box.
> > Is your username/password on the two machines the same?
>
> there is no username/password for the share, i left them blank, and i
> can print fine with smbclient. at this point i am thinking of just
> re-installing mdk 8.2, some other stuff like crossover, and xine seem
> to be broken in 9. thanks though mark.
>
>  -augie

- --
Mark Street, D.C.