ms word vs html ?

error error at sonic.net
Tue Oct 1 02:32:23 PDT 2002

> i am trying to convice one of my profesors that we should not use both
> ms word and html to document a project, and in fact we should not use
> ms word at all.
>
> below is what i sent to my prof. the response was agreeable but
> somewhat hesitant. so i'd like to collect some more evidence in my
> favor.
>
> so i am looking for evidence, examples, proof, of why an open standard
> like HTML is better than a proprietary one like ms word. and more
> specifically why html is a better fit than ms word.

I really think that .doc is a terrible idea.
However html is even worse.

Html is just a mark up language and doc is more extensible than that.

The solution is not to go with .doc however.
If you need a single format, use XML.

My friend who will not join this discussion agrees with eric on the idea
of XML. I also think XML is useful. However I feel that the end user
writing the document might be squimish unless you are running linux (and
you are considering .doc so that might not be an option.).

If you can go with xml do it it is the way to go.
Then you can run one script that converts your documentation to
everything else, pdf, rtf, html, ascii art :)

-
e.