mirroring update

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Oct 2 18:12:04 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:09:17PM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
}
} Yes, it appears that discs 1, 2, and 3 hold RPMS, disc 1 holds critical
} install bits (floppy images, utilities for repartitioning, the actual
} install stuff, etc.) and that 3, 4 and 5 hold SRPMS.  (4 and 5 consisting
} only of SRPMS)

If we are worried about space then I'd ditch the Redhat SRPMS.  Half of
them are so screwed up as to be unusable, and people only need the
occasional SRPM anyway.

} http://mirror.nblug.org/redhat/8.0/en/os/i386/ is done via some tricky
} loopback stuff, but it *should* work for a network install; it has *not*
} been tested.  You can look in

That's what I do on my server at work.  I had to create the TRANS.TBL
file in the RPMS directory (I didn't test it without this) but all the
rpms and the whole images directory are just symbolic links to each of
the mounted iso images.  It's been working great for network installs.
The converted Redhat 7.2 directory is only 372kB.  I had to create a
bunch more /dev/loopX device files, but it saves a ton of disc space.

Eric:  Thanks for the help on the Redhat apt stuff.  I made the dummy
rpms and it is mostly all working.  7.2 and 7.3 are working great.  6.2
still wants to install sendmail and apache when I do a dist-upgrade, but
the upgrade caught most of the stuff so I left it at that.

I setup my own apt directory for 7.2 internally and have upgraded a 3
machines with it.  I don't have the entire updates directory, but I have
320MB of the stuff I use the most, so 99% of the downloads come from my
internal server.  I get 6MB/second from nblug and 8MB/sec from my linux
box hooked thru a 10baseT switch, so the speed isn't a big difference
but reduced traffic on the nblug server and the corperate socks server
will be noticed with another dozen upgrades.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com