SuSE Help Needed

Liz Young liz at kandew.net
Fri Oct 4 08:16:51 PDT 2002

On Friday 04 October 2002 12:30 am, Sue Bennett wrote:
>  The ISP server
> then asks for a password.  I do not see a password being sent by my
> system but that my be due to encryption.  (At least I hope it is
> encrypted.)  The ISP server responds that it is an invalid
> user_id/password.  The process occurs 3 times and then it hangs up.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Sue,

I rarely use dial-up, but here goes...

Are you using KPPP to connect?  The config file is in
~/.kde/share/config/kppprc

If you configured a new provider (ISP) in YaST, the config file is in
/etc/sysconfig/network/providers/

I have configured a dial-up connection to Sonic, so I have
/etc/sysconfig/network/providers/sonic

It's plain text and looks something like this:

ASKPASSWORD="no"
AUTODNS="yes"
DEMAND="no"
DNS1=""
DNS2=""
DSLSUPPORTED="no"
IDLETIME="600"
ISDNSUPPORTED="no"
MODEMSUPPORTED="yes"
PASSWORD=""
PHONE="5221003"
PROVIDER="sonic"
USERNAME="liz"

KPPP gets it's settings from there.  If you add a connection through the
KPPP dialog setup, it appends the kppprc file in your home directory
(not /etc/sysconfig/...).

You should be able to edit either file to the correct settings for your
ISP.

If that fails, there's always wvdial :)  the CLI dialer with
/etc/wvdial.conf for config.

HTH,
-Liz