Intel 802.11b on linux

minnigerode minniger at gemteq.com
Fri Sep 6 12:58:21 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:44, Robert Hayes wrote:
> A client just called and is setting up a small portable LAN for conferences.
> They're buying those nifty new 'dancing' (see the TV commercials) Gateway
> 400s  with the integrated flat screen (the iMac clone-clone).
>
> They want to use the Intel 2011B line of 802.11b access and adapters. My
> understanding is that these use the Prism drivers.
>
> Anyone here have any experience with the 2011B line and linux?
>
> Is there a site for wireless and linux along the lines of linprinters, etc.?
>
> Thank you thank you thank you and Good Night.
>                    --Joan Baez, Santa Barbara County Bowl 1989
>
> Robert

Hi.. I've been using the Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 cards for a
year or so.  I don't know if the 2011B cards have the same internals
or not.

The 2011 cards are based on Spectrum24.  So you had to compile
your own drivers.  The newer distros of redhat seem to have this driver
included.

Some links:

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=73516&forum_id=33428

And my own little contribution (for pre redhat 7.1):

http://minnigerode.org/CA-SF/dave/linuxpage.html#wireless

later

dave