[NBLUG/talk] Wireless networking/Kernel Source Code Questions

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Apr 12 10:01:02 PDT 2003

Hello, everybody:

I hope the following isn't too long, but in essence, I have 2 questions:
1. How do I get a Belkin wireless PCI card to run on my RH8 box?
2. How do I get the source code installed on my machine?
Question 2 may be moot, but I think I need to do this to get what I
think is the right driver (linux-wlan-ng-0.2.0) running.

The long version:
I now have RH8 running on the new box and want to set up a wireless
connection between the box and my laptop.  I will try to describe what
I've done so far and where I'm currently having a problem.  If anyone
sees something obvious that I've done wrong, please let me know.

I decided to go with Belkin hardware (my first mistake?).  I think I
have the laptop's pcmcia card (F5D6020, ver. 2) working - I have it
configured as a 'Lucent Orinoco and Prism II PCMCIA wireless' card, but
of course I can't tell yet.  It's the PCI card for the desktop that's
proving more difficult.  There is not a corresponing choice for a
'Lucent Orinoco/Prism II' PCI card.  [If anyone knows that these Belkin
cards *aren't* Prism II, please let me know]

I've done a lot of searching in google and RedHat and came across what I
think is a possible solution:  linux-wlan-ng-0.2.0.  I've unpacked the
tarball and the README says you need to have the source code in a
directory for the configuration to work.  The suggestion is that it go
in /usr/src/linux.  I found what I thought was the source code in an RPM
on the RH cds, but I think running it reloaded the kernel itself, but in
any case it did not put anything in /usr/src/linux.

I then went out on the web and found a tar ball for the source code.
The new box is running kernel 2.4.18-14, so I downloaded the tarball for
2.4.18 and unpacked it in /usr/src/linux.  Now when I run 'make config'
in the wlan directory, when I tell it where the source code should be, I
get the following error message:  "The kernel header files are present,
but not the full source code."  Am I supposed to *compile* the source code?

So.  Any ideas?  I am of course grateful for any insight or advice.
Thanks!
--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at arczip.com