[NBLUG/talk] Linux certifications (was RE: LinuxWorld San Francisco 2003 Registration is Open!)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com
Thu Apr 17 15:01:02 PDT 2003

I just took the LPI-101 and LPI-102 exams
(beta revision 2 on both, and the "newer" version
on the LPI-102 (missed it the first time))
recently via Vue, which I am going to comment
based on those.  As for how LPI did it at the
LWE prior, I cannot comment since I was not present
there to put in an objective opinion one way or
another.

The objectives on the LPI web site are covered,
but again it is quite a bit of material.  To narrow
it down to simple questions is an accomplishment
in itself IMHO.  I know I personally do not use
all the server oriented material covered, but the
questions asked were inline for the objectives.

The question of "should I get certified or not" is
a biggy and personal decision.  Depending on your
goals for certification (i.e., employment, pay raise,
personal accomplishment), I see the LPIC-1 as a nice
one to have especially for the Linux realm and since
it is distribution neutral (though there is talk of
an LPI-103 for United Linux that is specific to the
United Linux front in addition to the LPI-101 and
LPI-102 exams).  The con side is that the Linux
certifications are not very well known to the outside
"general public", but it is slowly changing (M$ having
a huge advertising budget vs. the Linux gang is part
of the reason for their certs being well known).

Just my $0.02, but personally, I would go for it
if you can.

Sincerely,

Crawford Rainwater
CEO and President
(Linux+, LPIC-1 too)

The I.T.E.C. Company
P.M.B. 146
368 South McCaslin Boulevard
Louisville, CO 80027 USA
+1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
+1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
+1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
http://www.itec-co.com